Sunday, November 9, 2008

John McCain Bio-Sketch


A person’s core belief system is greatly determined by his childhood and life experiences; one’s background can also determine emotional reponse to a situation as well as his overall viewpoint. John Sidney McCain III’s belief system is very influenced by his military background, which taught him the value of courage, determination and discipline. He was born August 29, 1936 in Coco Solo Naval Air Station. He grew up as a "Navy Brat", and constantly moved from base to base. Until he went to Episcopal High school, a private preparatory school, in Alexandria, Virginia. He graduated in 1958. He then Graduates from Naval Academy at Annapolis [5th from the bottom of his class] in 1958. He then attended flight school until graduating in 1960. On his 23rd flight his plane was shot down and he broke both of his legs and was held as POW for 5 years. He was held in solitary confinement for 3 1/2 years and beaten severely. Once rescued he endured a painful 9 month recovery. Despite all this he went back into flight training and tried to regain the ability to go back to war. Unfortunately it soon became clear that his injuries made it impossible to return. This shows how loyal and resilient he is, and how he really understands the sacrifices so many have made in the war.
McCain is Pro-Life. Addressing the environmental issues we are facing McCain introduced the climate stewardship and Innovation act of 2007 designed to significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions. He will also be putting some funds towards discovering alternative fuels, and drilling here in the US. This shows that McCain does care about the environment and is going to work on some long term changes but is also going to focus on the immediate short term solutions. He has opposed federally mandated universal health coverage but is pushing small businesses to band together and negotiate lower rates. This shows that McCain does care about the well being of America but does not want the people to become dependant on the Government. He also says he will reform the Tax code to offer choices beyond employee based insurance, and voted in favor of extending tax cuts through 2010.

7 comments:

Tin Nguyen said...

From reading your second paragraph on McCain, it seems like theres two topics instead of one. Your topic sentence, however explained a lot about John McCain and what happened in his life during the Vietnam War.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to first say that your topic sentence is very good. It leds into everything that your saying and it connects everything together. I like how you use alot of imformation on his childhood and it is all in chronological order. I think you want to get that he's pro-choice out among us and thats a very good thing to inform us of. I think this because its important for us to know before we vote for him (if were going to vote for him). I thought it was interesting to find out that McCain wants to make long term changes rather than short term solution. Very good job Tara.

Anonymous said...

Once again, great job on straying from the norm, and talking about his stances on environmental issues, TERRA. I really didn't know how much they planned to fix all the US Emissions, considering they pretty much just buy allowances(or what they're called...) to emit more gasses from the other nations, leading the US to emit more than any other nation in the world. I do think you could've written a bit more about the transition McCain had while going from the Navy to politics.

Alyssa DaVolio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rmadsen said...

This was very interesting, but you don't have anything on his family! Plus what was his political history. But i think your topic sentence does a good job of supporting your details- or vise versa, whatever. it was very interesing.
(But it was his 23rd flight mission ON A CERTAIN BASE not 23rd ever.)

Alyssa DaVolio said...

I feel that your over all view of point from your McCain blog depends on his military career. I believe your topic sentence is a run on sentnece and should be cut down. After reading your blog I think that it was interesting that you stated about his long nine moth recovery after he was rescued because I think that this event made him stronger and ready to run a country. Your blog does leaving me wondering what you think about this event and I know we were not supposed to put in our own opinions but I would like to know what character trait he got out of this event.

apurkaple said...

From reading your blog on McCain, I feel that your viewpoint over all is how McCain cares about our resources and protection. I think this because you address that McCain: "understands the sacrifices...McCain does care about the well being of America." Your topic sentences definitely connected with the body of the paragraph by explaining how his experiences personally connect with his values today like his past war experiences.
I saw it as interesting the fact that he is interested in reducing greenhouse gas emissions. He is for environment even though Americans are dissapointed in the fact that he is for oil drilling.
Something your blog left me wondering about is how McCain may be able to win environmantalists over since he is for environment safety still.